Tuesday, August 6, 2013

I thought I was Six weeks

When I scheduled my first OB appointment I figured that I would be exactly six weeks based on my LMP and the day I ovulated (I pride myself on meticulous notes). Hahaha....I guess I was wrong. When I went to my appointment, I had the ultrasound first so that the OB could confirm a uterine pregnancy and verify an EDD. According to my calculations, I had figured that my EDD would be March 19th, but after the technician measured the CRL, my baby was actually five weeks and 6 days instead of six weeks exactly. So now the little one is due on March 21st---no biggie!
Announcement (along with a baby swim shirt)  that we mailed to the DH's parents and grandparents
Since this is my first pregnancy, I didn't know what to expect. Thankfully, the technician didn't remember me from my last ultrasound two months prior where in a failed attempt at a joke, I embarrassed myself horribly. He got straight to work and immediately I saw little Twig's flickering heartbeat. Twig clocked in at 176 beats per minute, which I am told  means that he's a boy.....or a girl!!

Hahaha....people always base gender on the the silliest things. Apparently, anything over 140 bpm means that you're having a boy....or a girl (ironic, since there are only two genders to choose from) So, right now I will assume that my little one is healthy, and that I am having a baby that will someday let me eat without indigestion (although, my husband is convinced it's a boy.

After the ultrasound I met with my OB who was so happy for my hubby and I. I, of course asked her all my questions that I compiled from various websites that you're supposed to ask at the first appointment such as; "can I exercise?" "How much weight should I gain each trimester?" "Can I delay cord clamping?" and a whole host of others, that I will soon forget answers to.

Luckily, for the google-searching control freak that I am my OB gave me a pregnancy guide that answered all my most basic questions, and a pamphlet on prenatal screening, which I am still on the fence about. My husband and I decided that no matter what (if any) disability our little one has, we'll keep it regardless. so why bother testing? I've also heard that the tests are known to give false positives.

What do you think? Did you do prenatal screening tests? Which ones did you do, and would you recommend them?

No comments:

Post a Comment